Anxiety Part 2 : How I Overcame Anxiety









Not long after I wrote 'Anxiety Part 1' I actually went through crazy amounts of anxiety all over again not long ago!! I genuinely thought that I overcame anxiety as I had not suffered from anxiety for a few years, and maybe small amounts here and there but the majority of anxiety.. I had gotten rid of, or let's just say it was under control - I guess not!! 

It might be a good idea to read Anxiety Part 1: ITSOKNOTOBEOK  before you begin to read this post as I've shared my anxiety experience on there.

So below is a timeline of the steps I took to become a happier, stronger anxiety free me! 

2013-2014 Visiting My GP.

This is a step which I wish I took earlier on than I originally did. I discussed different ways to receive help with my anxiety and panic attacks with my GP, where he suggested medication and therapy. 

GP's will always encourage you to start taking medication as they help right away, but if you don't feel comfortable doing this then please don't. I refused to take them because I didn't want immediate results, and I was too scared to take them. I also didn't want to rely on them for my happiness!! 

Students this ones for you! - Make sure you inform your college/university if you're having problems dealing with anxiety as this will have a huge impact on your studies - as they did with mine, during my time at university. By not speaking to my university tutors in my first year at uni, I made everything a lot more difficult for myself. If they are aware of your issues from the very start they will be able to support you and will become easier to apply for extensions/exc facs etc.


2014-2015 There Is Nothing Wrong In Seeking Professional Help

Here I started CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy). After struggling to fight anxiety and panic attacks for years I finally decided to take this step. It didn't help straight away, but I learnt to keep things under control. No you're not crazy - you just need professional support in order to become you again.

During CBT Sessions:

I learnt several things during my CBT sessions - we did activities and a lot of writing down my thoughts and feelings and then analysing the situations. I learnt about what panic attacks and anxiety really was. I learnt that EVERYTHING WAS IN MY HEAD!!!! Nothing was actually wrong with me, nothing was happening to my body, it was my thoughts that were making me go absolutely crazy.

It was about understanding everything and then learning different exercises to help control these thoughts. I learnt that EVERYTHING I was feeling was in my head!!! So in order to control these negative thoughts there were several steps and exercises I needed to take in order to help me. 

But I will definitely recommend seeking professional help this is definitely helped me the most. There are several different types of talking therapies out there, go for the one that will suit you and the situation you are in. You can also book these privately if you take a look online, sessions and Psychologists are available to book instead of going to your GP. 

Counselling
Cognitive Behaviour Therapy
Psychotherapy
Couples Therapy 
Interpersonal Therapy
Group Therapy 
Family Therapy 

I advise you speak to a professional to rule out which is the best form of therapy for you. 

2015-2016 It's All In Your Mind.

Soon after finishing CBT - I was told to continue reading self-help related books/articles. 
My therapist also suggested using apps on my phone and meditation which definitely played the most important role in helping me control my thoughts.


Controlling Your Thoughts and Meditation: 


This can be done by regular meditation, and I mean REGULAR CONSISTENT meditation! Below I will share with you the APP which I used for meditating - I mean you can also find links on YouTube for meditation but the app helped me the most! You have to give yourself time though - it is very difficult to get your mind to focus on the person who's voice you are meditating to. However it is the most effective method to help develop your positive thoughts and cancel out your negative thoughts!! 


STAY POSITIVE!!! 


Remember: it's all about letting of of the negative thoughts and vibes in order to let positivity in! 


I always used to have negative thoughts - and once I learnt about the law of attraction and what a great impact your thoughts have - my life started to fall into place. 


APPS THAT I USED:

Image result for Panic Attacks? Deal with panic attacks & anxiety app
Image result for Self-help for Anxiety Management
Self Help For Anxiety Management 
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/self-help-for-anxiety-management/id666767947?mt=8 









Panic Attacks? Deal with panic attacks & anxiety by Geert Verschaeve

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/panic-attacks-deal-with-panic-attacks-anxiety/id520496221?mt=8 

This was definitely one of my fav apps that helped me with meditation, once you're on the app you need to head over to Audio Relaxation - pop your earphones in and lie down - listen and follow everything. Every time I felt anxious or every time I felt a panic attack was going to come along - I would do this exercise and it helps! 




I will update this section when I come across other apps which I used, I can't actually remember what their names were so I'm struggling to find them! 




I will be posting a YOUTUBE video very soon so watch out for that! 

Comments