My Story - What I Want To Be When I'm Older






What we don't realise is from the moment we started crawling, we began our journey of finding out what we will be when we are older. We played with one toy and then another. We didn't like a game, but we loved the other. Some of you played dressing up games and are stylists or designers today. Others pretended to operate on their siblings, whist some taught in an imaginary class room. They are doctors and teachers today. We started that journey a long time ago, but for some, it takes many games and role plays to find where we actually belong.


 At five years of age I wanted to become a Doctor, I remember holding a toy stethoscope, acting like I was a doctor checking my dollies non-existent heart beat...  As I grew older my interests grew from having a little diary filled with my clothes designs and detailed captioning of dresses and outfits, I developed a passion of becoming a fashion designer. I remember owning a small suitcase filled with all my Barbie dollies, my neighbour owned the same and we would play outside with our dolls. Swapping outfits playing dress up was what I loved. 



 My mama taught me how to sew with a needle and thread, I started making my own doll clothes. I learnt how to knit too! I loved playing with my dollies hair, plaiting it, cutting it and I even dyed it with my play make-up. I used to play with my mums hair, she hated it! I remember my dad teaching me how to ride a bike, I had many accidents as I grew up(nothing too serious, don't worry!) coming home with cuts, bruises and grazes all over. Playing cooking with my sister, and making medicine with leaves and flowers outside, those were the good old days for sure.



 I remember going through a crazy phase where I'd stand in my bedroom making different hair styles on myself and going into school with a new hairdo everyday, so I probably considered becoming a hairstylist at one point too. I also remember having a little book which I tried to write poems and song lyrics in, I probably wanted to become a song writer or something at that point! And just like that, I slowly began to realise that maybe becoming a doctor is not what I really want, I wasn't too interested in science anymore either. So I jumped from one area of interest to another, exploring.. trying to find myself. There are so many more memories that I could go on forever with..! 



 By the time I was sixteen I still had no solid idea of what I really wanted to do, what I wanted to become, but, what I did know was that I had to succeed in something. My parents always said to me 'Do what you enjoy. Do what you love, but make sure you make something out of yourself and become successful in whatever you love. There is no point doing something that you do not like or enjoy because you will struggle to succeed' But what did I love? What did I want to be? I had no idea.. 


 My parents always supported me when it came down to making decisions which I am very thankful for, it helped me a lot in life. By the time I joined sixth form I chose subjects not just from one subject area but a whole mixture! - Media, English Language, Business and Photography, random? Yes i know! I just thought a core subject is necessary so English language was a definite but I also loved the creative side of things so media and photography were chosen and I had a crazy passion to become a business woman at that point, wearing a suit working in a tall building or owning my own big business or something was what I wanted at that point.. but I soon found that business was not the one for me, and so continued with the remaining three, and Media became my favorite. I loved it! I still love it today. When you love something you will automatically find a method to bring out the fun side in boring tasks. 

 By the end of my first year I began to walk towards the most unexpected route, ever, primary schools. I undertook work experience every week in my old primary school to start building some sort of child/school related experience. Although I was loving the media and photography side, I felt I had to do something a little more professional for my future career, not saying Media is not a professional career, I will still do something in relation with media in the future but, something which will reward me and I felt through educating children there is a different reward.. And that media and photography is something I can always do in my spare time! So then a year later I joined university and here I am today three years later, I am heading towards success. But I still have a long way to go, I still have so many more things which I need to achieve to then I will be able to say... I finally made it!  

 It hasn't been an easy journey, it never will be. I was never too sure where I was going but everything has it's reasons, everything happens for a reason. Sometimes you'll make really good decisions that will take you to a nice place, but others will take you to the darkest place. But struggle is the root to success, and if you don't find something challenging at some point, then you must be doing something wrong! When you work hard for something, and you finally achieve and succeed the feeling you get is incredible. When I received my place at University, the feeling I felt and just seeing how proud my parents were was indescribable. But I don't know where I will be in the next five years, I could be doing something completely different as to what I am doing at the moment.

 So, if you are young and are struggling to make decisions on what you want to do in the future, just think about what you love the most. If you're not sure then you need to get up to start exploring. What do you enjoy, it's never ever too late. It's never too late to start something new, if you're older it's not the end. Changes can be made at any time, and you can begin something new at anytime. We have always said 'I want to become a doctor, or a dentist or a lawyer when I'm older' and we work for those targets, but we don't really know ourselves. 

 We always think about the 'what' and not the 'who', so who do we really want to be when we're older? We don't know until we experience life, and experience what we love and what we don't love. Sometimes we are forced to do something, we will think we hate, but soon you realise that you actually love it. It's made for you. It's what you love. So don't say no to something because you 'think' you don't like it.. Experience it, try to explore, find yourself. Let it grow, let yourself grow, achieve, succeed. Don't waste time lying around looking for an excuse to blame your current situation on, get up! Walk towards your dream and your dream will run towards you for sure. 



Why don't you guys share your childhood memories below, tell me if they relate to what you're currently doing, have done, or what you aspire to do! I would love to know! 




Hope you enjoyed today's blog, see you next time! 
Good Night x


Don't forget to like share and comment!  





I do not own the rights to any images on this post.

Comments